My Life as a Foodie

You are what you Eat

Friday, December 6, 2013

Roastin, Toastin, Delicious Lentils (and i ain't boastin)Recipe

When I was growing up, beans were a pretty regular staple at every meal. Yes my family favored the not so healthy refried pinto beans, but they were delicious and I really think I owe my grandma the credit to loving beans so much! I never realized until I became interested in the nutrition field that beans were such great nutrient dense foods full of protein and fiber that provide you with so much energy along with many other health benefits (Beans:The Undervalued superfood) and also a great alternative to meat for those nights when you want to go vegetarian (try it sometimes).

Yes, Beans have an infamous taboo of being the magical fruit but thats easily avoided by a pre-soak, before cooking! There really are no limits whether it's canned, dry or frozen and with so many types to choose from (lentil, kidney, chickpea, pinto,peanuts,lima, edamame, black) it's easy to get carried away so I've decided to take my favorite and run with it! The Lentil Bean, so smooth, nutty, great in soups, with curry or even in salads. Lentils are one of the easiest to prepare beans, they are legumes (ike peanuts) and and nutritional powerhouses in which one cup packs a whooping 60% of your daily fiber needs and 35% of your daily protein needs and if that's not enough for you they give you tons of energy without making your blood sugar go out of whack!

Behold the best, nutritious, crunchy (better than potato chips) snack!

Curry Roasted, Toasted Lentils



2 cups of cooked lentils (How to cook raw lentils) canned lentils work as well, just presoak before
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon curry powder
salt and pepper to taste 


1. Preheat your oven to 400*F
2. In a small bowl combine olive oil, salt+pepper and curry powder and mix
3. On a foil lined cookie sheet spread out the cooked lentils and coat in olive oil mix
4. Keep the lentils as spread out as you can and bake for 15 minutes
5. Stir and roast for 8-10 more minutes
6.Taste then add more salt+pepper or curry powder

Enjoy and don't mind me while I sit here and polish off this bag of roasted lentils!

Cheers to Health and Moderation
Trish


No comments:

Post a Comment